Monday, February 25, 2013

Natural dry hair remedies

Ever since I can remember I have been interested in using natural ingredients to make potions for the skin and hair. Ask my Dad- he'll tell you about all  the oatmeal and lavender bags I made when I was a teenager. I'd hang them off the taps in the bath so that the water ran through them releasing the oaty perfumed milk into the bath. Unfortunately he didn't share my enthusiasm for natural homemade beauty products.

The other day my hairdresser lamented the dryness of my hair and suggested a mashed  avocado hair balm and the light began to glow and I remembered how much I loved using fresh natural ingredients. I positively ran home to search on internet to see what I could find and  guess what I found  this 5-hair-conditioners-you-can-make-at-home. This post had a number of easy ( well 5) to make natural recipes for hair conditioners. The avocado recipe sounded interesting!




I popped off into town to buy some avocados - I ate one half for lunch ( they are packed full of vitamins including the  vitamin B's , monounsaturated fats (good for lowering cholesterol), lutein (good for eyes and skin) and much more)  so that I get the benefit internally.

 Then later on  I will mash the other half with olive oil and some essential oils- probably lavender ( for calming and relaxing), and then coat my damp hair with it, cover with  a cheap shower hat ( I use the freebie ones from hotels) and wrap in a warm towel and leave for at least 20mins - probably longer, several hours if I can manage it.

Half for lunch and half for my hair!

If I was clever I would leave it on overnight but I'm not sure Mr H would be very  keen on waking up  next to a woman covered in avocado and essential oils and wrapped in a shower hat, so I think a couple of hours during the day  (when the family are not around- so there are no funny jokes ) will suffice!

 Then another day I  might try the coconut oil recipe as I think have a 500g pot lurking in the back of the cupboard - I just have to find it..........

3 comments:

Thomasina Tittlemouse said...

Funny you should post this today, guess what I spent my day off making yesterday?! Homemade shampoo in a bar! Like you I've always been drawn to the idea of making homemade potions but have only recently moved into actually doing it. Shampoo and conditioner are so expensive and the ingredients lists are often scary so making one's own is increasingly attractive. Love the sound of the avocado conditioner - I'm going to try it! I'll do a post about the shampoo in a bar, if it works, that is! But so far it's looking (and smelling) good & has set nicely so fingers crossed! Happy Hair Days Nikki! E x

Mrs H said...

Your home made shampoo sounds very intriguing and I am so looking forward to hearing about it in your post. I have a couple of tips re the avocado conditioner:

Leave the half avocado out of in fridge out of sight of partner-especially if they haven't seen your blog recently as they may bin it thinking it has gone brown and horrible ( as exposed cut avocado has a wont to do!)
Also I would wet the hair so that it is quite wet but not dripping
Finally I would puree the avocado and oil with a hand blender or perhaps a mouli thing - as the small unmashed pieces dropped off as I was covering the hair- and add enough oil to make a smooth and not too thick paste suitable for covering the hair!

Mrs H said...

Oh and I forgot to say this is a type of deep conditioning conditioner - so I do wash it out -and then shampoo and condition .